We’ve all seen the TV programs that feature people buying houses in need of renovation and then selling them on for a profit in the future and in this Concept Concrete Blog, we’ll look at some of the work that needs to be done in order to sell the house for a good return on investment.
If the house is in a dire condition, you will probably need to engage the services of a professional team of builders to make the building habitable. Although the main aim of individual property developers is to make a decent profit and therefore complete as much of the renovation work themselves, there are areas where you need to get help. Please see below for a list of property renovation jobs where a suitably qualified and accredited professional should be called upon.
- Electrical Rewiring – This is probably the most potentially dangerous of all property renovation jobs and should only be attempted by a registered and recognised electrician. Unless you have extensive electrical experience, this is an area where you should step firmly back.
- Plumbing and Boiler Replacement – This is another area where it is not feasible to go it alone. Boilers and heating systems, by their very nature, are complicated for the uninitiated and that is why you should have the details of an approved plumbing engineer stored in your contacts.
- Driveway Installation and Repair – A high quality driveway is a strong selling point as it’s the first thing a prospective buyer will see when they approach the property for the first time. Forget the plain concrete slab driveways of the 1980’s, the experienced driveway specialists of today are able to install driveways in a variety of different colours and styles and at affordable prices. Unless you have extensive experience in the concreting sector this is also a job best left to the professionals.
- Asbestos Removal – This may or not affect you, depending on the age of the property you are renovating. If you suspect the presence of asbestos, be sure to consult with a professional before even touching it.
- Garden Landscaping and Pathways – Although you may be able to assist your garden landscaper with a few jobs, it is probably wise to use at least some of their expertise for your garden design. Concrete pathways, if you want them to look good, should be laid by specialist paving companies who know exactly what they are doing. It may be a good idea to ask your landscaping company if there are any preparation jobs you can do in order to make their job easier and ultimately cheaper for you.
The above list is by no means exhaustive, it just illustrates the types of renovation jobs where at least some professional input is necessary. Your local concrete specialist will be able to give you more information on request if you’re enquiry is related to driveways or concrete landscaping.
If you are planning a property renovation and you need help with driveways, pathways, car ports or a backyard patio, Concept Concrete are well placed to help. Call us on 1300 366 343 with any questions or to obtain a quotation.